Tuesday, March 18, 2014

the beginning

Well, Here it goes!  This feels incredibly uncomfortable... This is the second canvas I received, it is from a writer.  She has dealt with some what I think insurmountable obstacles in her life.  But she is strong and this is what she gave to me to work with:




Below is the beginning of what I've done with the above piece.  I don't feel as if they are complete but think it's a start.  I've cut the parts of the canvas with words on them and stitched them together, wrapped them in cheesecloth and then soaked them in wax.  they look a little odd and maybe too much like rawhide (that's weird isn't it?!)  But I'm still trying to decide what to do next with these parts of her story.








2 comments:

  1. Cindi, these are very exciting! I love how they feel structural. This seems like a beautiful project you're doing. It has a sense of poetry about it without being sentimental. There's a rawness and a little more dark/melancholy tones to this than what I saw in your work from last residency, and I think it's going in a great direction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cindi, looks great so far! There is something mysterious and slightly disturbing about it (in the best way possible.) They leave me with questions and wanting more! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete